4 Jan 2008

Part 13: Lauren Child

Perhaps most known for writing the Charlie and Lola books, Lauren Child is a English illustrator and successful author. Instanly recognisable is her collage-like style, in which she combines any number of mediums from magazine cuttings to material or photography and even traditional watercolours.






Personally I find myself less than impressed with such works. Although I can appreciate how appealing they appear to young audiences, I find the seemingly inconsistent look to this work somewhat unappealing from an aesthetic perspective. However creative and 'of its time' it may be it is not a style I would aim to emulate any time soon. Perhaps it is appropriate that such works are targeted for much younger audiences, as the style is reminiscent of creative styles often seen in school art classes, particularly in the case of the intended audience of such pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment